Change of Name

General Information:

You don’t have to follow a legal process to start using a new name. But you might need a ‘deed poll’ to apply for or to change official documents like your passport or driving licence.

Deed Polls are to be sent to the UK government departments, companies and organisations enabling you to get all your official documents and records changed to your new name including your passport, driving licence, bank and building society accounts, credit cards, medical, tax and National Insurance records etc.

Get a deed poll

A deed poll is a legal document that proves a change of name. You can change any part, add or remove names and hyphens, or change the spelling.

There are Specialist agencies with whom you change your name and get a deep poll. We can make the necessary application and all other formalities on your behalf to get your name changed from any of the special agencies ( UK Deed poll service providers).

If you divorce or end your civil partnership

You may be able to go back to your original name by showing record-holders either your:

  • marriage certificate and decree absolute
  • civil partnership certificate and final order

However, some organisations will not change your name back without a deed poll and we can arrange your deed poll done.

Change a child’s name

A child’s legal name can easily be changed by a Deed Poll. The consent of everyone with parental responsibility (PR) for the child will be needed. If your child is 16 years of age or over (or approaching their 16th birthday), they must apply for their own Deed Poll for which parental consent is not required.

Parental responsibility is a legal term and it’s important to understand the meaning of parental responsibility and determine who has parental responsibility for your child and who needs to consent to your child’s name change.

 Your passport

Because of the fee involved for a new passport (currently £75 to £85 for a 10-year adult passport), most people wait until they need to use their passport next. When you apply, the passport office will give you nine months additional time on your new passport towards any unused time (in excess of nine months) on your current passport.  Therefore, if your current passport has two years remaining when you apply, your new passport will be valid for 10 years and nine months.

 Important passport advice

You are strongly advised not to book an overseas trip in your child’s new name until you are in possession of your child’s passport in the new name.  It is often not possible to amend a name on travel documents.  Therefore, if there is a problem obtaining your child’s new passport in the new name, you may have to cancel the booking and rebook.  Cancellation fees can be as high as the full cost of the booking.

Contact me to get your deed poll from special agencies which will surely be accepted to all Government offices ( including the Passport Office).