Right of Abode

Having right of abode means you’re allowed to live or work in the UK without any immigration restrictions, which means:

  • you will not need a visa to come to the UK
  • there’s no limit on the length of time you can spend in the country

You can prove you have right of abode if you have a UK passport describing you as a British citizen or British subject with the right of abode. Otherwise, you need to apply for a ‘certificate of entitlement’.

You can apply for a certificate of entitlement to prove you have the right of abode in the UK. It goes into your passport. You need to apply for a new certificate when your passport expires.

A certificate of entitlement costs £372 in the UK and £388 if you are outside the UK.